Friday, July 23, 2010

Week 1 Post 6

Which Philosophers Do You Admire most?

To answer this question I must first lay out the qualities for which I would define a great philosopher. Once again however I must apologize for making an uneducated response to this question. I do not know a lot of philosophers, but there have always been a few that have peaked my interest. First of all, I would like to mention that I appreciate philosophers who I feel are or did search for answers instead of more questions. I also appreciate those that give detailed reasons for believing in what they did.

For all of the aforementioned traits, my favorite philosopher would have to be Plato. I read his book The Republic and loved it. I believe that it is a book that can be read 1,000 times and still find new things in it every time. He has reasons for what he believes, and while I do not always agree with him, I think he is fascinating. I also appreciated his tutor, Socrates. I am a fan of his philosophy as well as the way he chose to live out his days and sacrificing his life for what he believed in. And finally I enjoy Aristotle, I think that Aristotle was always searching for the truth instead of other questions. These are by far my three favorite philosophers.

No comments:

Post a Comment