Thursday, August 5, 2010

Week 5 Post 2

Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals was a bit difficult for me to understand. He says in his final chapter of this book, "If this writing is incomprehensible to someone or other and hurts his ears, the blame for that, it strikes me, is not necessarily mine." I would agree with him, because he presents some difficult ideas, but it is not necessarily his fault that those ideas cannot be understood. With that, I will give my best understanding of his ideas.

I believe what Nietzsche is trying to say is that some of our morals are innate within us. We are taught to feel pity, and yet he asks why. He questions his morals in order to affirm his own beliefs. I gather from his essay that he believes that everything should be questioned. We should not merely accept things because we are told to accept them. We should ask why and if we have a good answer then we can affirm our own beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment